Cutie hat for cutest babies and toddlers. No seams to hurt the tiny head, just a bunch of funny i-cords to bounce when the little one is active.
Yarn – Knitca Delight yarn, 100% superwash merino wool, 150m / 164yds in a 50g / 1.7oz ball: 1 ball of main colour and 1 ball of contrasting colour. Hat in the photo is shown in colour Apple Green as main colour and Maize as contrasting colour.
Needles – 3.5mm (US4) double pointed needles
Notions – wool needle and 6 stitch markers
Newborn, Baby, Toddler
Instructions are given for smaller size, with larger size in parentheses. When only 1 number is given, it applies to all sizes.
Circumference (stretched) – 36 (41, 46)cm /14 (16, 18)”
Length (with brim rolled) – 15 (18, 20)cm / 6 (7, 8)”
25 stitches and 30 rows = 4”/10cm in pattern stitch
SPECIAL TERMS AND ABBREVIATIONS
sl1wyib – slip 1 stitch purlwise with yarn at the back of the work
SSK – slip 2 stitches separately knitwise, return them back to the left needle and knit them together through the back loop
i-cord – Knit all stitches. Without turning your work slide all stitches to the other tip of the needle. Repeat.
1. With main colour cast on 84 (96, 108) stitches. Arrange stitches evenly on 4 needles = 21 (24, 27) stitches on each needle. Join for working in the round, and place marker for the beginning of the round. Be careful not to twist stitches when joining.
2. Brim. Knit all stitches in every round for 10 rounds.
3. Body. Change to contrasting colour and work 1 round in slip stitch pattern as follows: [knit 1, sl1wyib], repeat brackets to end. Then knit all stitches in every round for 4 (5, 6) rounds.
4. Repeat step 3 five times changing colours every time until you have 5 stripes in the body of the hat, and the piece measures 12 (13.5, 15) cm / 4.75 (5.25, 6)” from the cast on.
5. Shape crown. Change to main colour and work 1 round in slip stitch pattern: [knit 1 stitch, sl1wyib], repeat brackets to end.
Next round (set up round): [SSK, knit 12 (14, 16), place marker] repeat brackets to end.
Next round (plain round): knit all stitches
Next round (decreasing round): [slip marker, SSK, knit to marker], repeat brackets to end.
Repeat “Plain round” and “Decreasing round” 10 (12, 14) times until you have 18 stitches left.
6. Cut yarn, draw yarn tail through remaining 18 stitches, pull tight and secure.
7. Top of the hat. With main colour and the right side of the hat facing to you, pick up 3 stitches from the stitches you secured in step 6. Knit an i-cord on those 3 stitchess until the cord measures 8cm / 3.25” / 20 rows. Cut yarn, draw yarn tail through the stitches, pull tight and secure.
8. Repeat step 7 six times until you knit i-cords from all 18 stitchess you secured in step 6.
9. Ring. With contrasting colour cast on 15 stitches and work in stockinette stitch as follows:
Row 1: knit all stitches.
Row 2: purl all stitches.
Work rows 1 and 2 three times until you complete 6 rows from the cast on. Bind off all stitches. With purl facing to you, sew sides of the piece using mattress stitch. Let curl naturally. Put the ring on top of the hat around all i-cords. Stitch the ring to the top of the hat.
10. Tie a knot at the end of each i-cord.